Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Society for the Remarkable Suicide...

My pin-up contribution for Stephen Paul Coffey's upcoming graphic novel: The Society for the Remarkable Suicide. The premise of the book is very interesting albeit morbid. The subject matter is very taboo with me. I'm not a squeamish person but it just creeps me the hell out. It is probably my religious upbringing that has an influence over my feelings on the matter(ya think?)... The more I read about it and the overall message, the more comfortable I became contributing to this work. Robin Cain of the Examiner.com has written a nice review of the original script that can explain this project way better than I can. Here are a couple excerpts...

Via Robin Cain's article at theexaminer.com


"The author's imaginary secret Society, founded by a man whose son took his own life in what he considered an unremarkable fashion, serves to aid those wanting out. The only conditions are 1) One’s exit must be grand, creative and ‘remarkable’ and 2) The contract must be fulfilled. From the woman whose husband left her and sees no light at the end of the tunnel to the professor afflicted with Alzheimer’s, each joining ‘member’ gets their exit financed through the society...
...Stephen Coffey’s script (soon to be a graphic novel), The Society for the Remarkable Suicide is, without a doubt, provocative and powerful. Examining the effects of societal assistance for those whose cries often go unanswered, the work is a brilliant attempt to open the dialogue on suicide. And if the discussion can convert even one person contemplating an 'unremarkable suicide' into one pursuing a purposeful remarkable life, isn’t it worth every effort?"

No comments: